A recent worthwhile purchase has forced me to rethink about my monthly expenses. Since the purchase was a major one and I had been dreaming about, ok… it was a house!, I willingly comply to a little adjustment to my monthly budget, and perhaps, slightly to my lifestyle. I need to save more money because I need to buy a lot of stuff for my house. Here are the things I do to cut my monthly expenses.
- I buy clothing items online. I even buy clothes every other month now. Fortunately, I am not a brand-minded person. I can get a similar or even better quality dress than a branded one online. Even a branded bra can be half priced online if you don’t mind not having the newest edition. Besides, have you considered a hidden cost of buying your clothes from a physical store in a mall? Cost like rental that may be added to price tags by percentiles? I don’t know how the system works, but that possibility really bugs me. With online shops, you can always compare prices before buying.
- I stopped buying coffee from Starbuck’s because I can always get better coffee much cheaper. Let’s be honest. Theirs looks stylish on Instagram, but the price you pay is not only for the coffee, but also for the logo and space rental.
- I gave up visits to my favorite nail salon and do my own nail. I purchased a manicure set a while ago, and every Sunday morning, I do my nail rituals. I don’t polish my finger nails; just trim, smooth the edges, and shine them. I usually do extra with my feet: softening up the calluses and paint the nails properly at the end.
- I reduced eating out especially on week days and started eating in office’s cafetaria. If the food there sucks, I set a limited budget for delivery from nearby warungs.
- Unfortunately, I don’t live in my house at the moment because it is located in my hometown while I work in a different island. It means: apartment/house rental. The one I live in now costs me IDR 1.5 millions (about USD 120) monthly. If I want to save significantly, I need to start looking for a cheaper place. I have not found a decent place to move into at a lower price than I have to pay right now. I’m still looking.
- I quit smoking. … … … Nah, I lied. But it is something I’ve been considering because I can save almost IDR 700,000 a month!
Do you have any other ideas for me?